Vehicle accidents are not uncommon in and around Bensalem, Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, severe injuries and extensive property damage are often the results. It is crucial to understand some of the main causes of Bensalem vehicle accidents so that you can take the steps necessary to protect yourself and your passengers by driving defensively at all times.
What Causes Car Accidents in Bensalem and Throughout Bucks County?
A significant portion of all vehicle accidents that occur across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania happen right here in Bucks County. This area does have a significant population when compared to the rest of the state, and 4.6 percent of all traffic fatalities during the latest reporting year happened here. Overall, there were nearly 5,000 total vehicle crashes that occurred in Bucks County during the latest reporting year.
Motor vehicle crashes occur in a wide variety of ways in Bensalem. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Alcohol-related incidents. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, alcohol was responsible for approximately 26% of total traffic fatalities during the latest year of data on file. Alcohol is a particular concern for drivers under the age of 21. 17% of driver fatalities in the 16 to 20 age group were drunk drivers, which represents an increase from the prior year.
- Drug-related incidents. Various types of illegal and prescription medications can lead to impaired driving. Not only does this include marijuana, but also cocaine, crack, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, and more.
- Speed-related crashes. Speeding remains a leading cause of traffic fatalities in Pennsylvania. When we discuss speeding, we are not only talking about those who travel over the speed limit, but also those who travel too fast for conditions. For example, traveling at the speed limit is likely not a good idea when the roadways are icy or when traffic is heavy.
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving is an increasing concern across the Commonwealth, and this can mean a variety of things, including sending over saving text messages, talking on the phone, applying makeup, eating or drinking in the vehicle, reaching for objects in the vehicle, talking to others while driving, and more.
- Failing to follow traffic laws. There are a variety of ways individuals can cause crashes by violating traffic laws. This includes failing to stop for a stop sign or stoplight, failing to yield the right of way to other vehicles, failing to yield to pedestrians and bicyclists, failing to use turn signals, and more.
Unfortunately, individuals can sustain severe injuries in Bucks County as a result of these incidents. It is not uncommon for traffic crash victims to sustain broken bones, dislocations, internal bleeding or internal organ damage, amputations, crush injuries, spinal cord trauma, traumatic brain injuries, and more.
Working With an Attorney
If you or somebody you care about has been injured or sustained property damage in a crash caused by the negligent actions of another driver in Bensalem, you need to reach out to a car accident attorney in Bensalem as soon as possible. A skilled lawyer can examine the facts of your case, gather the evidence needed to prove liability, and handle all communication with other parties involved. This will include negotiating with aggressive insurance carriers to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, property damage expenses, and pain and suffering damages.