Philadelphia Wrongful Death Lawyers
Losing a loved one to preventable circumstances is tragic and devastating. While no amount of money can bring back or replace your loved one, a Philadelphia wrongful death claim allows certain family members to recover damages and losses after a loved one’s tragic death.
At Wilk Law, we know families need money to pay final expenses, send children to college, and replace much-needed income and support. Money from a wrongful death claim is also a legal means by which victims seek justice on behalf of their loved ones.
Wilk Law’s wrongful death attorneys are ready to help you move forward by handling all aspects of your legal claim. This allows you and your family time to grieve and heal. Contact us today online or at (855) 946-3678 and schedule your free, confidential consultation.
Our wrongful death attorneys are:
- Experienced and empathetic towards your struggles;
- Capable and compassionate; and
- Honest and proven successful in negotiating and litigating complex cases.
A Philadelphia Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help
Wrongful death claims are one of the most complex personal injury claims, and you may quickly become overwhelmed about filing yours. Often there are two claims: a survival claim and a wrongful death claim.
When you retain Wilk Law, our attorneys will ensure you understand what type of case you have and explain the best legal options for proceeding. We then plan a legal strategy tailored to fit your legal goals.
Wilk Law builds a strong wrongful death claim, survival action, or both, on your behalf. Our attorneys will do this by:
- Investigating the cause of your loved one’s death;
- Gathering all evidence surrounding the death;
- Reviewing any medical records;
- Hiring needed expert witnesses; and
- Documenting all death-related expenses at present and in the future.
- Aggressively negotiating a full and fair settlement with the insurance company; or
- Proceeding with litigation and trial if no settlement is forthcoming.
Most wrongful death claims settle outside of court. However, Wilk Law will take your case to trial if that is your best available option. Contact us today in Philadelphia to make your free initial appointment.
What Is a Wrongful Death Claim? How Does It Differ from a Survival Action?
A wrongful death claim is:
- A civil legal claim;
- Filed by any family member or named beneficiary of the deceased;
- Paid to the spouse, children, and possibly parent of the deceased for their pain and suffering and other losses due after the untimely, often preventable death, of their loved one.
A survival action is also a civil legal claim. However, a survival action is:
- Filed by the personal representative of the estate;
- Any monies collected in a survival action go to the deceased’s estate;
- Compensation in a survival action pays for the deceased’s damages and pain and suffering from the time of the accident to their death.
A family and personal representative may file a wrongful death claim and survival action simultaneously.
Proving Wrongful Death Claims and Survival Actions
Both wrongful death claims and survival actions are personal injury claims, and proving negligence is the key to winning either of these claims. Negligence is one party’s duty to take proper or reasonable care not to harm another.
There are numerous ways in which people, companies, and other entities act unreasonably or without care in their dealings with others, including but not limited to:
- Driving a car under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Improperly loading a commercial truck;
- Weaving in and out of traffic on a motorcycle;
- Opening car doors without checking for cyclists;
- Not wiping up spills or placing signs where they occur in stores;
- Not providing safety equipment for workers;
- Putting defective consumer products into the marketplace;
- Failing to test prescription drugs before marketing them; and
- Failing to diagnose or treat major medical conditions.
Contact a Philadelphia Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
If someone failed to treat your loved one reasonably or with an appropriate duty of care and your loved one died as a result, call Wilk Law. Our wrongful death attorneys offer compassionate, yet aggressive legal representation.
Your primary focus should be your family and rebuilding your future as best you can, not litigating a wrongful death claim or survival action. At Wilk Law, we will help you past any uncertainties you may have and place you in the best possible position for the years ahead.
Call our office in Philadelphia today at (855) 946-3678, or contact us online.